Meet Michelle Yee, Tour guide at Museum Hack. Michelle is incredibly passionate about art and changing people’s perspective on how they view it. Read the interview below to find out more about how she trained her self to raise one eyebrow at a time, and her love of eating french fries in bed.
1. What do you do for Museum Hack?
I’m a tour guide at the Met! I also co-led our team to hack WCMA at night – it was an incredible, phenomenal experience – there was more energy there than I have ever felt in my life!
2. Why did you apply to work with Museum Hack?
Museum Hack embodies what I believe about education – knowledge is fun! Art is fun! It really all comes down to presentation. Also, humans are insane and have always been insane. I love that Museum Hack has not only acknowledged this, but, by really carefully looking at the art and doing some fantastic research, have discovered incredible and awe-inspiring proof of humanity’s awesomeness, ridiculousness and fabulousness in the art. I get to be the one who shares this knowledge with the clients at the greatest museum in the world. Say what??
3. Tell us about one of your favorite Museum Hack experiences.
I have to say that WCMA at Night really was one of the top experiences. Not only was the planning and the event really fun and successful, but also I got to witness my colleagues pull together some of the most interactive and brilliant experiences I’ve ever seen unfold inside of a museum. Can I tell you about another one that happened at the Met? I led a private tour for a family of five one time – there were three young daughters who were everything I hope my future kids will be someday – super inquisitive, intelligent, sweet and curious. At the end of the tour, the three girls spontaneously gave me a giant hug and it was maybe one of the most heart-melting moments I’ve ever experienced in a museum.
4. What are 3 fun facts that most people don’t know about you?
1. I taught myself how to raise one eyebrow, specifically the left one. It took me two solid years and i just never got around to training the right one. To this day, if I raise my eyebrows together, the left one goes up first.
2. I can nap anywhere, anytime.
3. I am super duper clumsy and I fall down on a regular basis. That being said, I’ve never broken any bones. (or art. woo!) I have, however, run into doorjambs at the Met…more than once.
5. If any artist- living or dead- was to paint your portrait, who would you choose?
Jean-Honoré Fragonard. We might say that the Rococo artists are just about shiny, gold shit, but that man could paint. And what could possibly be better than being painted in vibrant pastels, with a cheeky expression, wearing a bright, yellow, poofed-sleeve dress, preferably in a cushy seat, posing with my dog (who ideally would be wearing a giant pink and blue bow on her neck). I’m not sure it could get more fabulous than that.
6. If you were to be reincarnated as an animal, which would it be and why?
A sloth. All I want to do is lie in bed half-asleep with a big bowl of piping hot french fries next to me. I would lazily reach over and grab a couple fries and stuff them in my mouth between my deep, contented snores.
Want to find out more about our passionate group of tour guides? Watch more of our interviews with our Museum Hack team here.